Ten Steps to Take After Water Damage Strikes Your Home or Business
If you have recently had water damage in your home or business, follow these ten steps from SERVPRO® of Emporia/South Boston to help mitigate the damages:
1. Remain calm- it is important to be able to think clearly so you can navigate the situation.
2. Close the water main or shut off any water source to prevent further flooding.
3. If you are unable to shut off the water yourself, call a plumber.
4. Shut down the electrical breaker in the damaged area. Do this before unplugging any electrical devices from the wet carpet or submerged areas.
5. Call SERVPRO® of Emporia/South Boston at 434-262-6792. We are available 24/7, 365 days a year.
6. Place a product such as aluminum foil under furniture legs to avoid staining the carpet.
7. Lift any curtains or draperies away from the water.
8. Lift and pin up furniture skirts made from upholstery.
9. Remove paper products such as books, important documents, and photos if the damaged areas could affect them.
10. Call your insurance company. Most insurance companies require the homeowner to report the damage “as soon as reasonably possible”. Water damage can be incredibly damaging and the effects can cause secondary damage very quickly.
If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to give our office a call!